Materials Engineer (SkillBridge Intern) – 12904
Date: Apr 11, 2023
Location: Dayton, OH, Ohio
Company: HII’s Mission Technologies division
Requisition Number: 12904
Required Travel: 0 – 10%
Employment Type: Temporary Worker
Hours Per Week: 40.00
Security Clearance: TS/SCI
Level of Experience: Mid
This is an UNPAID internship through the DoD SkillBridge Program for transitioning active-duty US military personnel. DoD SkillBridge Internships are available to help transitioning active-duty military personnel gain real-world experience in the work force sometime during their final 180 days of active-duty service. The intern will actively train on meaningful projects and work closely with a mentor and with senior company leadership. HII Mission Technologies Internship programs are focused on placing transitioning military into internships that require KSAs, Education & Military Training similar to their current or previous military jobs; positions that could easily transition over to a full-time regular and permanent job with HII.
Program of Instruction
For this internship, the SkillBridge intern will train as a Material Engineer within HII-Mission Technologies, reporting to a designated HII Supervisor, with the goal of learning Materials Engineering basics and principles. The intern will be assigned special projects as needed.
Desired End State (3-4 month target)
• At the end of four months, the intern will be able to develop skills needed to characterize products, use various analytical instrumentation during their time, understand how to interpret collected data, work with Geometry and Material Properties team.
• The intern will develop a good understanding of the aspects of characterization equipment, configurations, operation, and troubleshooting procedures. This includes:
o Operation, configuration, and maintenance of Laboratory equipment.
o Fabricate, prepare, and analyze test specimens.
o Identify necessary testing procedures based on requirement and material application.
o Author, review, and edit technical analysis reports.
• Mission Technologies will benefit from the military background of the SkillBridge intern and considers the SkillBridge internship an overall positive experience.
Phase 1 – Basics
• Week 1: In processing, Introductions/office familiarization.
• Week 2: Intro to Geometry and Material Properties (GMP) team, their operations, and necessary safety procedures specific for the GMP team.
• Week 3: Intro to resource databases and processes.
• Week 4: Intro to general instrumentation.
Phase 2 – Instrumentation Familiarization
• Week 5: Familiarization with SEM-EDS, XRF, OES.
• Week 6: Familiarization with FT-IR Spectrometer.
• Week 7: Familiarization with Raman Spectrometer.
• Week 8: Familiarization with Hardness Tester, and Pycnometer.
• Week 9: Familiarization with Tensile/Compression Tester.
Phase 3 – Collection, Processing, and Reporting
• Week 10: Identify necessary testing procedures based on material applications.
• Week 11: Perform fabrication and preparation of sample analysis per instrument.
• Week 12: Perform proper interpretation and processing of collected data.
• Week 13: Author, review, and edit analysis reports derived from collected data.
• Join group collaboration discussions
• Participate in GMP bi-weekly updates, and tool development discussions.
• Obtain familiarization with maintenance of equipment and databases.
Active-Duty Military ONLY within final 180 days of active-duty service.
Bachelor’s degree in Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering required
Physical Requirements will vary and is dependent on the Program of Instruction.
This opportunity resides with Cyber & Electronic Warfare, a business group within HII’s Mission Technologies division. HII works within our nation’s intelligence and cyber operations communities to defend our interests in cyberspace. Our deep expertise in network architecture, software and hardware development, cybersecurity and the electromagnetic environment uniquely enables us to support sensitive missions for federal agency partners.
HII is a global engineering and defense technologies provider. With a 135-year history of trusted partnerships in advancing U.S. national security, HII delivers critical capabilities ranging from the most powerful and survivable naval ships ever built, to unmanned systems, ISR and AI/ML analytics. HII leads the industry in mission-driven solutions that support and enable a networked, all-domain force. Headquartered in Virginia, HII’s skilled workforce is 44,000 strong. For more information, please visit: hii.com.
HII is an Equal Opportunity/Vets and Disabled Employer. U.S. Citizenship may be required for certain positions.
HII’s Mission Technologies division / Equal Opportunity Employer
SKSTU, FVR06 SKUUU, Dayton, OH, Ohio Dayton, OH, Ohio ZC