On-Site Electrical Engineer – SkillBridge Internship
At KBR we are committed to our Nation’s Military and Veteran’s through our partnerships with Hiring our Hero’s and DoD Skillbridge. We attract the best minds in the world to grow with us and connect with our customers, because our expertise thrives on creativity, resourcefulness, and collaboration.
Our Science & Space Business Unit operates globally proving solutions for NASA, Federal Civilian Agencies, the U.S. Department of Defense, we well as commercial customers.
Electrical Engineer II
The Electrical Engineer Designer will participate in the development of the hardware components of ground and flight hardware systems that will contribute to accomplishing NASA’s mission, primarily for maintaining the health and wellbeing of astronauts or conducting experiments on the International Space Station and for exploration. The primary function of this position is Design: the incumbent must possess the skill to effectively and efficiently design electrical systems and exhibit strong critical thinking and communication skills in order to proactively support multi-disciplinary project teams.
The Electrical Engineer Designer will directly design electrical, data and power sub-systems including design support, cabling, component identification, part selection, circuit design and layout, drawing development and release. The incumbent will also support the fabrication, assembly, test, and troubleshooting of the sub-systems/systems, ensure timely procurements, support in the review of design requirements and proposed verification methods. This role involves full project lifecycle engineering work including, but not limited to, requirements generation and definition, hardware/software conceptual design and test, hardware/software preliminary design and test, hardware/software detailed design and test, hardware/software assembly/fabrication, hardware/software acceptance and qualification test support, hardware/software operations support in support of assigned projects in the Design Engineering and Fabrication Section of the Flight Hardware Department.
The Electrical Engineer Designer is expected to:
1) Exhibit proficiency of skill related to electrical/electronic engineering principles and practices and be able to make independent decisions on a broad range of space-related engineering problems.
2) Act proactively and independently to evaluate, select, and apply standard and advanced engineering techniques, procedures and criteria and use judgement to make decisions to provide engineering solutions to problems. The Electrical Engineer Designer will receive technical guidance on unusual or complex problems and supervisory approval on proposed plans for projects.
3) Serve in technical leadership roles.
4) Have work reviewed to ensure sound profession judgment has been employed and participate in the review of others work to ensure the quality of that work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Responsible for compliance with Safety, Health, and Environmental plan; must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and the Company’s safety policies/rules. Must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.
• Responsible for compliance with the Quality Assurance plan, policies and procedures
• Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance level as determined by the Company
• Responsible for completing all assigned training.
• Know and adhere to company policies, procedures, and work rules, demonstrate a strong work ethic and demonstrate involvement and commitment to the continuous improvement process
• Commitments are met and all are done to the highest quality standards.
• Follow and execute established processes and procedures and generate finished work products under time and budgetary constraints and ensures product yields the expected outcome and meets established quality levels.
• Work in a team environment with open communication and constructive dialogue.
• Address technical and programmatic issues with thoughtful scrutiny and effective communication.
• Perform assigned tasks in requirements/specifications generation and definition, hardware/software conceptual research, design and test, hardware/software preliminary design and test, hardware/software detailed design and test, hardware/software assembly/fabrication, hardware/software acceptance and qualification test support, hardware/software operations support in support of assigned projects.
• Perform PCB layout, part selection and analysis.
• Plan, schedule, conduct or coordinate detailed phases of the engineering work in a part of a major project or in a total project of moderate scope.
• Perform work that involves conventional engineering practices but may include a variety of complex problems and/or non-obvious issues.
• Communicate with various levels of management, peers and customers
• Support ISO/AS9100/CMMI activities and audits
• Support technical reviews and related activities to ensure project deliverables are in accordance with constraints (technical, cost, schedule).
• Other duties as assigned??
• A BS degree in Electrical Engineering (or related e.g. Biomedical with emphasis on electrical engineering) and 5-8 years experience.
• Demonstrated record of electrical/electrical design including PCB layout (e.g. Altium, OrCaD, etc.)
• Demonstrated record of thinking critically and communicating clearly, both orally and written.
• Demonstrated record showing ability to successfully address ill-defined problems and address contested issues in a multi-disciplinary environment.
• Demonstrated record of taking initiative / proactive approach in professional work.
• Previous working experience with NASA or a NASA contractor or comparable high reliability environments (eg. DoD)
• Demonstrated success in working within complex projects in a dynamic environment.
• Experience in developing hardware/products for multi-discipline integrated projects.
• Demonstrated record of leadership ability in an engineering setting.
• Experience designing to IPC and NASA standards
• Strong critical thinking and communication skills, both written and oral.
• Ability to address complex technical and programmatic issues among a variety of multi-disciplinary stakeholders in a fast-paced team environment.
• Practical skills with general electrical engineering and electronics concepts:
o circuit design and analysis including board layout/design
o measurement and instrumentation; integration of sensors and actuators
o safety and design limits
o signal processing and control systems
o digital systems including embedded control/integration of microcontrollers
o electromagnetic effects including EMI
o electronics: both theory and hands-on applications including prototyping/troubleshooting
o communications: wired and wireless; various protocols/methods (eg. serial, USB, ethernet, etc.)
o electronics packaging including thermal management
o integrated system packaging including board layout, arrangement of multi-board stacks, connector selection and cable management
o board and cable fabrication methods
o appropriate specification of designs via drawings and related formal documentation
o simulation (eg. PSpice)
• Capable of identifying risks and issues, reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options for mitigation and implement solutions.
• Ability to apply appropriate expertise within human spaceflight programs.
• Reliable, dependable and professional work habits and the dedication to get the job done.
• Familiarity with NASA or DoD Work Instructions
• Experience with NASA systems
KBR offers a selection of competitive lifestyle benefits which could include 401K plan with company match, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, AD&D, flexible spending account, disability, paid time off, or flexible work schedule. We support career advancement through professional training and development.?
Click here to learn more: KBR Benefits
Inclusion and Diversity at KBR?
At KBR, we are passionate about our people, sustainability, and our Zero Harm culture. These inform all that we do and are at the heart of our commitment to, and ongoing journey toward being a more inclusive and diverse company. That commitment is central to our team of team’s philosophy and fosters an environment of real collaboration across cultures and . Our individual differences and perspectives bring enhanced value to our teams and help us develop solutions for the most challenging problems. We understand that by embracing those differences and working together, we are more innovative, more resilient, and safer. We Deliver – Together. ?
Click here to learn more: Inclusion and Diversity at KBR
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
KBR / Equal Opportunity Employer
SKSTU, SKEEE, FVR06 SKUUU, Houston, Texas Houston, Texas ZC